[Friends of IFTF] January Newsletter from the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation

David Streever davidstreever at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:44:49 EST 2018

It's been too long since our last newsletter, and we have many
announcements and a New Year's resolution: Future issues of this newsletter
will be sent on the first Tuesday of every month, with a mix of upcoming
news and a recap of our blog posts and events. Your next newsletter will
arrive (soon!) on February 6th.

Our gift store is open--it's the perfect place for a belated holiday gift
for you or a loved one. We have t-shirts, mugs, and stickers bearing the
artwork of Maia Kobabe, commemorating the 25th anniversary of the IF
Archive. Shop online at https://www.zazzle.com/collections/if_archive_25th_
anniversary-119476116239982173

We wrote about the store, the artist, and how we use the proceeds to fund
IFTF in a recent blog entry: http://blog.iftechfoundation.
org/2017-12-20-the-iftf-gift-shop-is-now-open.html To learn more about the
long history of IF Archive, see Flourish Klink's article on the history of
the archive, from December 19th: http://blog.iftechfoundation.
org/2017-12-19-celebrating-25-years-of-if-archive.html

We support an open internet, and were dismayed by the Federal
Communications Commission eliminating the regulations enforcing Net
Neutrality in America. We wrote a blog advocating support for Net
Neutrality with some helpful calls to action this past November:
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-11-28-iftf-supports-
net-neutrality.html

We also wish to alert you to an effort by the Authors Alliance and the
Organization for Transformative Works seeking to expand fair-use rights for
e-book authors, including many interactive fiction authors. To that end,
they are collecting survey results on their website. Learn more about your
right, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and the campaign to expand
fair-use rights in the November 30th blog post by Flourish:
http://iftechfoundation.org/documents/2016-iftf-transparency-report.pdf

In older news, we are proud to say that we now host Twinery.org, home of
the Twine project. This was a key goal for the organization, and we are
happy to have succeeded. The new server, 'rope', follows our established
tradition of naming machines after Zork inventory items, and joins lantern,
sword, and bottle. Jason McIntosh wrote about the move in his October 20th
blog entry: http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-10-20-iftf-now-hosts-
twineryorg.html

We're also proud of the donors who helped us to achieve our Colossal Fund
goals, raising $6,000 for IFComp cash prizes and organizational expenses.
Andrew Plotkin has the details in his blog entry from September 29th:
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-09-29-colossal-fund-goal-achieved.html

If you've been forwarded this email, please signup for our newsletter (
http://iftechfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/friends) to keep in
touch with our more regular newsletter schedule.

Thank you for your support. Please let us know if you have feedback,
questions, or comments.