[Accessibility-testing] Debrief of Dec 5 2018 meeting between jmac & Deborah

deborah.kaplan at suberic.net deborah.kaplan at suberic.net
Wed Dec 5 12:38:17 EST 2018

Hi, everyone! It took me a couple of weeks, unfortunately, to realize that it was very strange that no email was coming in. I will let folks know as soon as I believe it is 100% fixed.

Jason summed up my thoughts very well. In general, except for my concerns about the length of the Cloak of Access survey, it's clear from the meeting minutes that you all had been discussing exactly the same concerns that I had been worrying about.

> In general, Deb cautions us against trying to second-guess ourselves when it comes to maximizing coverage. This is the first time this community’s done anything like this, so we don’t know where the gaps are going to be. I’m sitting here sweating about interpreter platforms, but maybe the real coverage issues will be about AT, or operating system, or something else entirely.

I'm not sure about this, but this really is the place where I am standing on this one. Part of me wants to get information from all of the testers about assistive tech and hardware/software platforms, so we can assign people to specific tools. And part of me is thinking "we have no idea what gaps we are going to discover after this testing." Maybe we will discover there were no android testers, or no testers who couldn't hear the sounds, or no testers using Chrome. After the fact, we can decide if the gaps are bad enough that we need to try to fill them, and if so if it will be another round of testing, or maybe even the committee can just try to fill the gaps by doing the testing ourselves.

Personally, I have a tendency to overplan so much that i get bogged down in those details, and in this case I think we just want to move forward.

My two cents, anyway

Deborah