[Accessibility-testing] 2018 goals review

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Thu Feb 8 23:50:55 EST 2018

On Feb 7, 2018, at 3:32 PM, Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath at eblong.com> wrote:

>> The X-axis is IF play platforms: Quixe, Parchment, Gargoyle, Lectrote,
>> Sugarcube, Harlowe, ChoiceScript, et cetera, noting the versions of all
>> software involved.
>
> Also Inform and Twine as development tools.

Busting this out as a separate thread:

In the interest of breaking this project down into more manageable pieces: What would we think of initially focusing on IF games & interpreters, and leaving the testing of dev tools to one side for now? It strikes me that focusing our concerns on setting up only the “try to play this game” tests would keep things simpler, and get us to the point of actually performing the tests and reporting their results a lot sooner.

This way, once we deliver on the IF gameplay-accessibility tests — which I expect is of greater interest to the larger community the dev-tool a11y testing — we could decide whether to call that mission-accomplished, or press on to design, execute, and analyze tool tests. It would all depend on the project’s momentum at the time.

I think I would prefer to lighten the load a bit to get more done sooner, and I have a hunch that removing a whole class of lower-priority tests would accomplish this. What do y’all think?