[Accessibility-testing] Linux Interpreters

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Fri Jul 13 10:13:52 EDT 2018

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Jason McIntosh wrote:

> Thanks for this, Austin. Replies inline, below...
>
> On Jul 13, 2018, at 2:29 AM, Austin Seraphin <austin at austinseraphin.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried installing Gargoyle using the gargoyle-git package from the AUR.
>> The standard gargoyle package didn't compile. The app had no
>> accessibility using Orca.
>
> By “AUR” you mean the package repository for Arch Linux, specifically?
>
> Question to the group: are we going to be picky about what we accept in terms of “the Linux version” for any software, or will we accept the use of any reasonably up-to-date linux distro?
>
>> The glkterm AUR package only contains a library, not a binary.
>>
>> The lectrote-bin AUR package has a similar situation, ironically.
>
> Zarf, any input / advice on this?

GlkTerm is a library; it's meant to be compiled together with Glulxe. I
don't remember how Linux distros usually handle this.

Lectrote is an app, so I have no idea what Arch is doing there.

>> Linux does have a version of Frotz, but it didn't run the file.
>
> That’s surprising! What happened when you tried?

Frotz on most platforms is Z-machine only. iOS Frotz is an exception; it's
really "Frotz plus other interpreters, but we didn't change the name
because that would be confusing."

>> On a related note, should I test any Android apps?
>
> It doesn’t look like we included Android on our list of platforms, so
> I don’t think you need to — but feel free if you’re curious about
> it. Maybe we should add at least one Android terp to the list, just the
> balance the one iOS one that’s there…?

The most recent Android IF app is Fabularium, mentioned in this thread:
https://www.intfiction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25433

--Z

--
*