[Accessibility-testing] Meeting notes from Tuesday, May 29

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Fri Jun 1 12:06:43 EDT 2018

And here’s my notes from Tuesday’s meeting:

Present: Austin, Deborah, Jmac, Mark, Zach, Zarf

• Interpreter discussion

	• In the interest of simplicity, we agreed that the Inform interpreter list’s first pass should contain only Glulx-compatible terps.

	• We decided to add at least a terminal-based Glk interpreter to the canonical interpreter list.

	• Decided not to add WinGit for now, and demurred making any further changes to the list.

	• Jmac will enshrine the Inform interpreter list into a textfile and place it into the team Dropbox.

	• When considering testing coverage, not only are different browsers to be considered non-equivalent, but so are different operating systems. So, for example, tests run on Quixe running on Chrome on Windows are to be considered separately from Quixe running on Chrome on Mac.

• Other testing discussion

	• We should start sorting out our list of ATs to test, similar to our combing out a list of interpreters. (Let’s begin this discussion on the list, presently…)

	• Mark recommends prioritizing “must-do” combinations of AT with our other interpreter / browser / OS targets, and not worrying about technology that fewer people use, proportionately speaking. “What are your 80-percents”?

	• Deborah further recommends prioritizing functional targets for AT over brand names and versions, when applicable. For example, testing “is using a screen magnifier” versus ticking off a bunch of leading-brand magnifier technologies.

	• AbleGamers’ Player Panels can help us select groups of specific AT users, when it comes time. All Player Panels volunteers have filled out surveys about their own technology use. This will help us choose an initial list of potential testers to contact and ask if they can help with specific stuff we need covered.

• “Cloak of Access” progress

	• Zarf has been having a good time making the Inform test game, working title “A Night Beneath the Opera”. An early draft is here: https://eblong.com/zarf/tmp/accessib/ Comments welcome.

• Other business

	• A colleague of Jmac’s asked him for documentation about Slack’s accessibility problems. This let to a general discussion about problems that Slack and Discord and the companies that run these services have run into, up to an including federal lawsuits being filed against them for not meeting accessibility standards. Yipes!

• Next meeting planned for Monday, June 11, at 6 PM Eastern time.