[Accessibility-testing] January 22 2019 meeting debrief

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Wed Jan 23 14:50:57 EST 2019

Present: Austin, Claire, Deborah, jmac, Zack

• We reviewed the state of the testing period so far, and resolved to all keep an eye on the incoming responses. The accessibility experts on the team, in particular, are encouraged to keep a running summary of their thoughts and responses to the collected responses so far.

• Deborah has already started to share hers, per the note she posted to this list yesterday.

	We discussed how, with the inform game, some feedback we’re getting doesn’t point so much to overt disability-mitigation techniques (e.g. alt text) and more to design techniques that would make the game friendlier to all players, *including* to players with disabilities as a welcome side effect. Example: making a listing of visible exits in the current room the default, instead of something that the designer has to explicitly work to activate. (And making its presence the expectation of players, instead of its current status of “Oh, this is clearly a game for beginners” or “This is trying to be all Scott Adams old-school” or whatever.)

• Zack said he’d put out another call for testers to the community at audiogames.net. We agreed we should otherwise encourage responses from the testers whose contact info we already have. About one-third of people who have expressed interest have submitted at least one survey, and there’s twelve days (as of today) of response-time left.

• List hasn’t been used much, which is honestly in-line with my expectations. I’ve received three bits of feedback addressed to me: One person stuck on Zarf’s game (who Zarf helped), one person pointing out an error in our docs (which I fixed), and one person just excited to see our report. :)

	I intend to send out at least one more reminder before the time’s up.

• I have a draft of an outline for our report, and I’ll share that presently.

• Zack: Will we have another round of testing after this? Jmac: Let’s ask that question again when this round’s done.

• Our next call’s scheduled for Tuesday, Feb 5, at 7 PM Eastern. (That’s the day after doors close on the testing period.)