[Accessibility-testing] Question about a hypothetical parser rewrite

deborah.kaplan at suberic.net deborah.kaplan at suberic.net
Mon Mar 11 20:00:09 EDT 2019

This is mostly a question for Zarf, I think.

Several of the comments were about ways in which the parsers didn't speak to the AT very well. So here's a question I have: if we imagine a hypothetical world where there's funding or excitement to address even a single parser on a single operating system -- say, WinGlulxe -- how hard would it be to integrate the accessibility APIs? To be clear, in this case it would be integrating Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) for commmunication with the Accessibility Tree on Windows? I tried to poke around the WinGlulxe code briefly but it was somewhat opaque to me.

References (pretty straightforward and skimmable ones):

1. Microsoft Active Accessibility on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Active_Accessibility
2. Microsoft's getting started guide for MSAA in practice: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc514820.aspx