[Con-info] A long-expected announcement

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Fri Sep 28 23:57:18 EDT 2018

Six months ago, we waved around the idea of hosting an interactive fiction
conference in Boston. Then -- six months of silence. You probably forgot
you even signed up for this mailing list.

Surprise! We still exist!

...Apologies for the delay. Nailing down a venue turned out to be a more
protracted and painful process than we expected. It's still not entirely
nailed down, I'm sorry to say. But it's solid enough for us to announce:

*NarraScope 2019*
Celebrating Narrative Games
June 14-16, 2019 -- Boston, MA
http://narrascope.org/

The focus of the conference is not just "interactive fiction". IF is a
broad-ranging term these days, but not everyone uses it or thinks of
themselves as "interactive fiction authors". NarraScope will aim to cover
the spectrum of narrative-focused games and interactive design: adventure
games, Twine, hypertext, choice-based and parser-based IF, visual novels,
procedurally generated narrative... Each of these forms has evolved into a
community of practice. We want to create a space for these communities to
come together, talk, exchange ideas, and discover ways to collaborate.

We are still finalizing the details of the venue and schedule. We expect
to be in Cambridge, in coordination with MIT's Comparative Media Studies
and Writing department.

A call for speakers and talk proposals will be posted soon! Watch for news
here and on our web site: http://narrascope.org/

Who are we? The Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation is a 501(c)(3)
nonprofit organization which supports the tools, services, and community
resources of interactive fiction and narrative games. NarraScope is IFTF's
first major public event.
https://iftechfoundation.org/
https://iftechfoundation.org/committees/conference/

Questions? Contact narrascope at iftechfoundation.org .

Inclusivity statement: NarraScope celebrates the diverse voices of game
design. We aim to create a safe, welcoming, and accountable space for all
participants.

--Z

--
*