[Friends of IFTF] IFComp can afford its own server, thanks to you

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Thu Jul 7 14:35:18 UTC 2016

Dear friends of IFTF,

With pleasure I can announce that, thanks to y’all’s earliest donations, IFComp can afford to move to its own, dedicated server this fall. (IFComp, of course, is the Annual Interactive Fiction Competition, which has run every year since 1995, and which you can learn all about at http://ifcomp.org <http://ifcomp.org/>. IFTF assumed stewardship of IFComp as its debut public-service program.)

The competition has a two-day downtime already built into its schedule at the end of September, in between the final entry deadline and the start of judging, so we’ll make the move then.

Since I took up the mantle of competition organizer in 2014, the IFComp website and all its other online resources have operated off a rather crowded server registered in my own name, the same one upon which I host various other personal and business projects. With this change, IFComp will get a space all to its own, on a server registered to IFTF. This should greatly improve the web application’s stability, and will also make more real IFComp’s new relationship as a permanent IFTF program.

Thank you all so much for making this possible! The 22nd annual competition opened its doors for entries just last week, and I very much look forward to steering it through its first year as a community-funded event.

--
Jason McIntosh

President, Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation