[Friends of IFTF] July Newsletter from the Interactive Fiction Technology Foundation

David Streever dls at davidstreever.com
Wed Jul 5 15:13:23 UTC 2017

Dear friends of IFTF,

We are delighted to announce that Judith Pintar has joined our Board of
Directors. Board member Chris Klimas writes that Judith is currently
Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign. She directs the Electronic Literatures & Literacies Lab,
and teaches a course on interactive fiction. You may be familiar with her
from CosmoServe, her award-winning 1991 BBS satire game CosmoServe, or her
more recent work in Inform 7. Please read more about Judith on our blog
entry (
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-06-11-judith-pintar-joins-iftf-board-of-directors.html),
and look for an interview with her in our next newsletter.

Speaking of interviews: We'll be interviewing our Directors and volunteer
staff over the next few months for this newsletter. Let us know if you have
any questions you want answered!

Registration for IFComp 2017 has opened. Entrants have until September 1st
to register an intent, and games are due on September 28th. This year,
we're running our first fundraiser: The Colossal Fund. As a registered
non-profit, we've created this fund to accept charitable donations,
tax-exempt where allowed by law, which we'll award as cash prizes to
competition winners. We'll still be awarding traditional donated prizes of
books and games, but wanted to use our nonprofit status to increase the
overall prize pool. Board member Andrew Plotkin provides information on
donations, IFComp, and more. (
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-07-02-ifcomp-is-open-for-intents-and-our-new-prize-fundraiser.html).
Thank you for your support of IFComp as it enters its 22nd year.

With IFComp season here, Andrew wanted to remind readers that voters use
our single-sign-on service. Your IFComp login lets you vote in both
IntroComp and the XYZZY awards. It's a minor feature, but one we can share
with anyone hosting a competition. Be in touch (
https://ifcomp.org/about/contact) if you're interested in taking advantage
of this feature.

Andrew also announced his own software project, an automated screen-shot
generator for interactive fiction. He calls it the IF-o-Matic. See his blog
entry for some examples of its output, and ideas on how he might use it to
make interactive fiction works on IFDB easier to browse. (
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-06-01-the-if-tool-toybox.html)

Last month, we announced that we'd be archiving the Twine works at
Philome.la; this month, we're adding the IF Archive to our collection. This
repository dates back to 1992, meaning this year is the 25th birthday of
the IF Archive. It's most recently been hosted by Mark Musante, who worked
with us to transfer the responsibility.

We'll continue to host and maintain these archives, thanks to donations to
the Foundation, and are always looking to expand our archives. Please be in
touch if you have a repository you'd like us to archive, and see Andrew's
entry on the news (
http://blog.iftechfoundation.org/2017-06-30-iftf-is-adopting-the-if-archive.html
).

As always, thank you for reading, and for your continued support of our
work. Please let us know if you have any feedback on this newsletter or any
thoughts to share.