[Accessibility-testing] Next call / next actions?

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Tue Feb 26 13:49:23 EST 2019

Feb 25 meeting debrief:

Present: Claire, Deborah, Jmac, Zack, Zarf

(Acknowledging that I was late, for no good reason. My thanks to Zack for making the call in my absence, and Claire starting the discussion.)

Primary topic was — per weekend list posts — whether we had enough data to proceed with a report, or whether we should collect some more.

Zack was concerned that 35 people isn’t a large enough population to draw statistics out of, or otherwise do math on.

Without disagreeing per se, Deborah countered that our test was never set up as a proper statistical exercise to begin with, so expecting any mathy results now is simply not practical, no matter how much more data we capture (in the form of survey results). Furthermore, 35 survey respondents is far better than typical for any accessibility study regarding an existing product or service.

Everyone present on the call ended up joining me in my lean towards making our report our next goal, and making that report about our method and our (very human, subjective, but experience-driven) observations and recommendations, as well as just sharing all the (anonymized) responses. And not trying to over-math any of it.

I absolutely want to hear from others on this list about this idea, before we commit to anything!

We agreed to defer discussion about the logistics of writing the report, at any rate, and (as Claire’s already posted) agreed that June 30 would be a fine deadline to shoot for, with June 14 — the start of Narrascope — being a good “stretch goal”.