[Accessibility-testing] Some saturday-nite numbers

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Sun Jan 20 10:44:31 EST 2019

Hi folks,

First up, a reminder that we have our next Skype call scheduled for Tuesday January 22 at 7 PM Eastern. (Hope those of you with long weekends are enjoying it!) We’re right at the midpoint of our survey collection, so let’s talk about that.

I’ve updated the two CSV files in the Dropbox’s “Survey responses” folder, and encourage a review of them before our call. We’re up to 13 Twine response and 7 Inform ones. (All the Inform players played the Twine game first, as instructed.)

Skimming them briefly, the inform responses contain some complaint of parser mechanic itself, which is not ideal but also not terribly surprising. Others report trouble with various of the accessibility traps Zarf created, including ones that I don’t recall our internal testers having much trouble with (e.g. the pull-quotes), so that’s interesting. (I would hypothesize that not being familiar with parser-game conventions will make these effects a lot more onerous.)

Testers so far seem to breeze right through the Twine game, even after I made it more annoying. :b But again, there’s only a couple of screen-reader users reporting in so far.

We have 36 testers in total, so we’ve heard back from a little more than one third of them so far. I intend to post a reminder or two to the tester-list as the Feb 4 deadline approaches, but I thought we’d have our call first.