[Con-volunteer] Additional Volunteering Tasks!

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Sun Jun 9 17:28:41 EDT 2019

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019, Dan Cox wrote:

> As a reminder, every volunteer needs to, you know, volunteer for something.
> The calendar for sign-in desk and expo hall shifts (
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zB6ME24Nig6rFFFqSzCeBAdf_YdrhamSPs9ZM-9Ybfo/edit?usp=sharing)
> is filling up, so I wanted to pass along two other volunteering
> possibilities.

Let me add one more volunteer task to the stack:

Photographer

It would be great if someone wandered around the event and took pictures
of people having fun. Not just speakers speaking, but people in the expo
room, people listening to talks, people talking excitedly in the hallway.

Then, after the event is over, forward the photos to us (along with a
statement that we can use them).

That way, when next year comes around, we can make a web site that shows
people having fun. Not that our current "quiet wall of text" web site is
bad, but, you know, photographs are awesome.

Our web site says:

> By attending, you agree to grant permission for your full or partial
> image or likeness to be captured and potentially used for marketing or
> shared on social media networks for promotion. If you would like to
> request your likeness not be used for this purpose, please contact the
> conference committee to opt out.

We should be more pro-active, of course. If someone objects to being
photographed, don't do it! Delete photos if people ask you to. If you're
photographing one or two people in particular, ask them *before* snapping.
Also check the schedule; some speakers have requested "no photography
or recording" for their talks.

Talk to Dan if you're interested in doing this.

--Z

--
*