[Accessibility-testing] November 5 meeting debrief & next actions

Jason McIntosh jmac at jmac.org
Tue Nov 6 15:03:01 EST 2018

Here be the debrief! This one’s important; some time-sensitive stuff coming down the pike.

Present: jmac, Mark, Zack

Zack reported that he had a go at the current Twine of Access draft, and found himself unable to complete it without resorting to AT-specific techniques. (Selecting links via the keyboard alone was not working out.) I want to emphasize that *this is good*. Our group agreed-upon strategy for this one was using only Twine’s obvious and “out of the box” creation tools and techniques, and Zack’s findings are pretty much in-line with our expectations.

Zack will try again using some additional techniques his screen-reader software provides. (He can explain it better than me, if needed…)

Mark and the rest of the AbleGamers gang has been busy with APX post-release work, but they hope to catch a break a little later this month where they’ll complete the Player Panel application process for our project, and then (barring surprise) release to us the email addresses of clear-to-contact volunteer testers. Then the ball will be in our court.

Mark expects an ETA of about two weeks there. So… we have a a certain number of hatches to batten. I am confident we can do it, given some coordination! From where I’m standing, here’'s our checklist of stuff we need:

• Complete feedback from the a11y experts (Zack, Austin, Deborah) on Twine of Access, and any resulting last edits to that.

• A list of survey questions specific to Twine of Access. (I need to remind myself about the survey status for Night Below the Opera, so we can use it as a model here.)

• Tester packets, ready to download and play, including step-by-step instructions. (Mark was specific about this: assume high eagerness, and zero knowledge.)

• The electronic surveys all set up and ready to collect responses. (Probably using google tools, per previous conversation.)

Am I forgetting anything?

I’ll be following up on this presently, and encourage folks to bang on Twine of Access as directed in the meantime.